General Application Information
Thank you for your interest in securing a nomination to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, or the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Senator Toomey considers nominating outstanding Pennsylvanians to be one of the greatest honors of his office. In order to maximize your chances of obtaining a nomination, you are encouraged to apply to both of your U.S. Senators and your U.S. Representative.
Please note that the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional nomination.
The application period for the Class entering the Academy in 2019 is now open. Use the application link below and follow the instructions carefully. All questions about the process must be directed to Senator Toomey's Allentown office at 610-434-1444.
All students must use our online application. Additional documents such as your official transcript, SAT and ACT scores, signed certification form and your 3 letters of recommendation should be submitted by email to Academy@toomey.senate.gov or mailed to the Allentown office. Please DO NOT send any part of your application to any other offices. The deadline for submission of your application is close of business on October 5, 2018. No application will be considered if it is incomplete as of 5:30 p.m. October 5, 2018. Late applications or applications received at other offices will not be considered.
To mail your transcript, SAT/ACT scores, certification form and letters of recommendation, please use the following address only:
U.S. Senator Pat Toomey
ATTN: Lindsey Weaver
1150 S. Cedar Crest Blvd., Suite 101
Allentown, PA 18103
Phone: (610) 434-1444
Fax: (202) 228-2727
A complete nomination package includes the following:
• Completed service academy nomination application.
• Essay outlining your goals and motivation for applying for a nomination.
• Sealed and certified high school transcript for all high schools attended.
• Official SAT or ACT score reports. Please use SAT code 2826 and ACT code 7175 to direct your scores to Senator Toomey's office. You will need to take the SAT and/or ACT by June 2018 or earlier in order for us to receive scores in a timely fashion. Do not wait until the fall of your senior year to take the SAT or ACT test for the 1st time. This will not allow for a timely submission of your nomination package to our office.
• Three letters of recommendation. Each letter must be original with original signature.
• Signed and dated certification form.
Academy Board Interview
Applicants who have a complete file and are academically competitive will be interviewed by Senator Toomey's Academy selection board. The interview is a critically important part of the process and gives you the greatest opportunity to showcase your talents, abilities and motivation. You will be notified by mail and email if you are selected for an interview. Interview dates and locations are as follows:
- October 30 & 31 - U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle
- November 1 & 2 - Robert Morris University, Moon Township
- November 6, 7 & 8 - Freedoms Foundation, Valley Forge
- November 17 - Allentown
U.S. Service Academy Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for a nomination from Sen. Toomey to the U.S. service academies, you must meet the following requirements:
• Age: Must be at least 17 years old, but not yet 23 as of July 1 of the year of admission to an academy. *Note: The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy allows applicants between 17 and 25 years of age.
• Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Residence: Must be a legal resident of the state of Pennsylvania.
• Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support dependents.
• Other Requirements: Must meet the medical, physical and academic requirements established by the academies.
For more information about the academies, please click the seals below to visit their websites: