ICYMI: After Tree of Life Shooting, Senator Toomey Calls For Common Sense Reforms to Gun Laws
“I hope the Senate can put aside some of our political differences and do something sensible.”
Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) took to the Senate floor today to honor the victims of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh. Senator Toomey also continued his push for commonsense reforms to our nation's gun laws, like requiring background checks for all commercial gun sales. Excerpts from the remarks are below.
- "Pittsburgh, the Jewish community, and our entire country were shaken by a horrific, anti-Semitic attack that occurred on October 27th during Shabbat morning services... eleven innocent people were senselessly slaughtered in the attack. Six others were wounded, including four police officers who responded to the attack."
- "After such an inexplicable event, all of us look for the motivation of the perpetrator and ask why. Let's be clear what this shooting was all about-it was a cowardly act of brutal violence, fueled by anti-Semitism, a corrupt and repulsive ideology that really betrays our most fundamental values and distorts history."
- "I've spent a lot of time working with colleagues and others to try and find some common sense solutions to address some element of the gun violence that plagues this country. Too often it seems we talk past each other, rather than speaking with each other."
- "We all agree that firearms should not be sold to criminals and the dangerously mentally ill... shouldn't we also agree to close the remaining loopholes in the [background check] system?"
- "One measure that I think ought to be a consensus measure, and I know has bipartisan support, is we should cover all commercial sales of firearms with a background check. This is just a common sense measure that is entirely consistent and compatible with the Second Amendment."
- "I hope the Senate can put aside some of our political differences and do something sensible. It is our duty, and it would be a fitting act of remembrance for victims of mass shootings at the Tree of Life, Thousand Oaks, Sandy Hook, and all the others whose deaths from gun violence have scarred our country."
Watch full remarks here.
Learn more about Senator Toomey's efforts to enact common sense reforms to our nation's gun laws.