Toomey’s Office, Gannon University, and Erie Together to Host Third Annual Youth Civic Engagement Symposium
Erie, Pa. - U.S. Senator Pat Toomey's office, in conjunction with Gannon University and Erie Together, will host the third annual Youth Civic Engagement Symposium this Friday, September 14, in recognition of Constitution Day.
In an effort to help high school students better understand the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the federal, state, and local government, each year the Youth Civic Engagement Symposium is a daylong field trip during which students learn how governments are run. The symposium is held at Gannon University but includes a visit to the county and federal courthouses and city hall to hear from local, state, and federal government speakers. Students will also have the opportunity to use the voting machine provided by the Erie County Election office.
More than 150 high school students from 12 local schools along with teachers and volunteers are expected to participate in this event.
"For three years, my office has partnered with Gannon University and Erie Together to put on a terrific event designed to boost civic engagement among young people in Erie County," said Senator Toomey. "I have no doubt that this year's Youth Civic Engagement Symposium will offer an educational and enjoyable program that will provide students with a firsthand look at how government works at all levels."
Media is invited and encouraged to attend this event from 8:15 to 9:15 at Gannon University (Yehl Ball Room), 9:25 to 10:10 at Erie City Hall, and 11:30 to 12:15 at Gannon University.
Speakers at this year's symposium will include:
• Peter R. Agresti from Gannon University
• Mayor Joe Schember, City of Erie
• Dan Spizarny, City of Erie Police Chief
• Guy Santone, Erie Fire Department Chief
• Brenda Sandberg, Executive Director of the Erie Western PA Port Authority
• Judge Susan Baxter, U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Pennsylvania
• Scott Brady, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania
• Dan Laughlin, Pennsylvania State Senator
• John Persinger, CEO of Erie Downtown Development Corporation
• Amanda Iadeluca, Erie County Human Resources Manager
• Jack Daneri, Erie County District Attorney
• Kyle Foust, Erie County Councilman