General Application Information
Thank you for your interest in securing a nomination to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Air Force Academy, or the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Senator Toomey considers nominating Pennsylvania's finest students as candidates to the U.S. service academies to be one of the greatest honors of his office. He is very proud of the admirable young men and women of Pennsylvania who aspire to serve in our Armed Forces. In order to maximize your chances of obtaining a nomination, you are encouraged to apply to both of your U.S. senators and your U.S. representative.
Please note that the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination.
The application period for the Class entering the Academy in 2014 is now open. Please use the application link below and follow the instructions carefully. All questions about the process must be directed to Senator Toomey's Allentown office.
All students must use our online application. Third party materials such as your official transcript and SAT/ACT scores can be attached to your online application OR mailed to our Allentown office. Your three letters of recommendation must be mailed to the Allentown office and must come directly from your school or from the source of the recommendation. Please DO NOT send any part of your application to any other offices. The deadline for submission of your application is October 4, 2013. No application will be considered if it is incomplete as of 11:59 p.m. on October 4, 2013. Late applications or applications received at other offices will not be considered.
To mail your transcript, SAT/ACT scores, certification form and letters of recommendation, please use the following address only:
U.S. Senator Pat Toomey
ATTN: Jess Kemmerer
1150 S. Cedar Crest Blvd., Suite 101
Allentown, PA 18103
Phone: (610) 434-1444
Fax: (610) 434-1844
A complete nomination application includes the following:
• Completed service academy nomination application (7 pages).
• Essay outlining your goals and motivation for applying for a nomination.
• Sealed and certified high school transcript for all high schools attended.
• Official SAT/ACT score reports. Please use SAT code 2826 and ACT code 7175 to direct your scores to Senator Toomey's office.
• Three letters of recommendation. Each letter must be original with original signature.
• Signed and dated certification form.
Academy Board Interview
Applicants who have a complete file and meet the minimum academic standards of the Academies will be interviewed by Senator Toomey's Academy selection board. Applicants will be notified of their scheduled interview date and time after the October 4th application deadline. The interview schedule follows:
October 30, 31, November 1 - Freedoms Foundation of Valley Forge, 1601 Valley Forge Rd, Valley Forge
November 15, 16 - 316th Army Reserve Center, 99 Soldiers Lane, Coraopolis
November 20, 21 - Ft. Indiantown Gap, Fisher Avenue Building 8-80, Annville
November 23 - Senator Toomey's office, 1150 Cedar Crest Blvd, Allentown
Please note that interview space is limited and we cannot accommodate requests for changes in the schedule due to personal conflicts. We will do our best to schedule your interview at a location closest to your home address.
U.S. Service Academy Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for a nomination from Sen. Toomey to the U.S. service academies, you must meet the following requirements:
- Age: Must be at least 17 years old, but not yet 23 as of July 1 of the year of admission to an academy. *Note: The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy allows applicants between 17 and 25 years of age.
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Residence: Must be a legal resident of the state of Pennsylvania.
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support dependents.
- Other Requirements: Must meet the medical, physical and academic requirements established by the academies.
For more information about the academies, please click the seals below to visit their websites: